Six Congolese activists were sentenced on Wednesday to two years in prison, after they were arrested last week as they prepared for a general strike calling on President Joseph Kabila to step down, their lawyer said.
The activists from the Goma-based Struggle for Change (Lucha) were arrested last Tuesday, the day of the strike, as they prepared banners supporting the protesters. They were convicted of incitement to revolt, their lawyer, Georges Kapiamba, told Reuters. He said they would appeal the verdict. The court dismissed charges of “association with criminals”, for which the prosecution had requested 10-year sentences. United States-based Human Rights Watch confirmed the verdict, which it said was part of an escalating government crackdown on Kabila’s critics. –